To search, type one or more key words below.
These items that may offer "inspiration" are offered in the context of a general viewpoint.
It is possible that, as Why Religion Matters, by Huston Smith argues,
the next great accomplishments of humankind will be in getting along with each other.
Certainly the Civil Rights movement and its aftermath have set the stage for transformational change.
Now, after September 11, the New York Times reports that the "Hollywood Struggles to Create Villains for a New Climate
has opted for restraint to avoid accusations of bias and
the danger of offending audience sensibilities in an increasingly multiracial America".
While mankind may have been more destructive in the past century than in any prior century,
humankind also has risen to unprecedented acts of reconciliation.
in the new
Truth & Reconciliation Commission
the apologies of the
Mission Of Reconciliation
RaceMatters.org has been created with the viewpoint that those who wish to engage
the subject of Valuing Diversity are likely to be searching
in any or all of 3 ways: ideas for action, good information and personal journey .
We provide information and tools to help.
Be sure to visit What's New.
The following is a growing list of resources that might offer "inspiration".
You may find lots more using our search engine.
We'll appreciate your suggestions for more to add to this list,
either from material already in RaceMatters.org, or new material.
- Going to pieces (May 18, 2005;Mark Caldwell Jones;by Not every crash is an accident. The movie Crash proves it. This film is masterfully choreographed and is destined to careen right down the red carpet at next year's Oscars....)
- Dont Forget, -- Forgive (January 11, 2005;Elizabeth Large;SS;Don't forget... forgive Letting go of anger can be good for the body and soul By The Baltimore Sun To forgive is human. It's just very hard. People are wired to respond with anger, hold grudges and seek revenge;...)
- Finding Our Way Home, Addictions and Divine Love (July 22, 2004;These stories describe the radical journey of creating a life with purpose, hope, and belonging....)
- Girl Taken by Rebels in 1996 Escapes in 2004 (July 22, 2004;Marc Lacey;NYT;World Briefings Published: AFRICA UGANDA: GIRL TAKEN BY REBELS IN 1996 ESCAPES A mother who has campaigned for the release of thousands of children abducted by rebels in northern Uganda was reunited with her own daugh...)
- Saying "No" to Killers (July 21, 2004;Nicholas D. Kristof;NYT;OP-ED COLUMNIST Saying No to Killers By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF ORTLAND, Oregon So what would you do if, like Carl Wilkens, you were caught in the middle of a genocide? Mr....)
- Work For Racial Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor (May 26, 2003;The Associated Press;SS;Work for racial justice, O'Connor tells law school's grads By Anne Gearan WASHINGTON + Too many people think the American criminal and court system is racist, and l...)
- Final Solution (April 30, 2003;Mike Holtzclaw;Better solution Va. Beach man makes film as gift for South Africa Daily Press April 30 2003 He made the film for South Africa, but now Cris Krusen is ready to show it to America....)
- A Director And His Hero Find Answers In the Details (January 31, 2003;December 19, 2002, Thursday, New York Times THE ARTS/CULTURAL DESK FILM REVIEW;...)
- Somebody Please...Listen! (January 31, 2003;The following is said to have been written by a young man inspired by the film Antwone Fisher, Reggie Hatchett A.K.A. Water....)
- Maya Angelou's final chapter (May 5, 2002;Teresa K Weaver;PBP;--> By Teresa K....)
- A Different Take on Human Origins (March 7, 2002;John Noble Wilford;NYT;By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD n a new genetic study of modern human origins, an American scientist has found what he says is substantial evidence that could reshape the prevailing "out of Africa" theory....)
- Mingling key to modern man (March 7, 2002;Robert Lee Hotz;SS;National Correspondent Spreading out of Africa like starlings, early humans conquered the world by embracing the strangers they encountered around the globe, not by forcing them into extinction, as many resea...)
- Simple rules simply change you (January 22, 2002;Elizabeth Clarke;PBP;, Palm Beach Post Religion Writer Tuesday, Oprah Winfrey calls this book life-changing. So does Ellen DeGeneres. Spiritual guru Deepak Chopra calls it "a road map to enlightenment and freedom....)
- O beautiful..., pursuing excellence, by William Safire (October 21, 2001;William Safire;NYT;Returning in 1894 from an inspiring trip to Pikes Peak in Colorado, a minor New England poet named Katharine Lee Bates wrote a verse she titled ''America....)
- Eastern Middle School, by Thomas L Friedman (October 2, 2001;Thomas L. Friedman;NYT;recently attended meet-the-teacher night at Eastern Middle School, my daughter Natalie's school in Silver Spring, Md....)
- Images of Friends Around the World (September 18, 2001;These images were assembled from the web by several people. They will be identified and credits (as best we know them) will be added soon....)
- Names, by Carl Sandburg (December 25, 1952;Carl Sandburg;There is only one horse of the earth and his name is All Horses. There is only one bird in the air and his name is All Wings. There is only one fish in the sea and his name is All Fins....)
- The War Prayer, by: Mark Twain (Mark Twain;The War Prayer, by: It was a time of great and exalting excitement. The country was up in arms, the war was on, in every breast burned the holy fire of patriotism;...)
- Network Of Mutuality (In a real sense all life is inter-related. All men are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly....)
- Fair Trade (This is the beginning of an idea that might become a business proposal. It is really an aggregation of ideas that were inspired by visits to Ten Thousand Villages retail shops in various cities of the U.S....)
- Gandhi's Seven Deadly Social Sins for Today (Mahatma Gandhi;challenged our traditional understanding of the seven deadly sins with this additional list for our time. Politics without principle. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Knowledge without character....)